Request for Proposal – Senior Communications Consultant
The Principles for Peace Secretariat is seeking a consultant to provide strategic communications capacity to the Secretariat to support the work of the International Commission on Inclusive Peace.
The Principles for Peace initiative (P4P) is a collective and participatory effort to develop principles and standards to support national and international actors to craft more effective and inclusive approaches to peace. The thought leadership of the initiative is spearheaded by the International Commission on Inclusive Peace.
The work of the International Commission is anchored in evidence and global consultations, and enabled by a Ministerial-level Steering Committee, a coalition of 120 organisations forming the P4P Stakeholder Platform, a Research Committee of eminent scholars, and a dedicated Secretariat in Geneva. Since its launch in December 2020, the initiative has gained significant momentum, building an expansive collective effort of specialised organisations, practitioners, policymakers and renowned scholars across peace and security, development, and humanitarian sectors.
The global participatory process of the Principles for Peace initiative has demonstrated that peace often breaks down because it is not broadly legitimate, because it is not sufficiently inclusive and because it is not consciously transformative.
To address this, P4P has developed, through a participatory collective process, something akin to the Humanitarian Principles or the Geneva Convention, for peace, which builds on the learning and collective best practice of the past. It is addressed to the international system, national governments, armed actors, private sector, and the civil society. The initiative will work towards uptake and anchoring the Principles in the international system and set up a follow up mechanism which will advance this agenda by advocating the change needed, monitoring, building capacity, and collating and making accessible knowledge about best practices.
C. Description of the Assignment
The Senior Communications Consultant will provide communications capacity to the Principles for Peace Secretariat. The Secretariat is hosted at Interpeace Headquarters office in Geneva.
The Consultant reports to the Director, and s/he contributes to the strategic communication of the Principles for Peace Secretariat, including communication support and advise to the International Commission on Inclusive Peace. The consultancy includes close collaboration with Secretariat staff members and Commission members. The consultant also liaises with external service providers as required.
The consultancy is until December 31st, 2022.
D. Objectives and Scope of the Assignment
The Senior Communications Consultant will deliver on strategic communications tasks as required by the Secretariat.
- Advise and design strategic and external communication tactics surrounding the Principles for Peace outputs, including ensuring they are easy-to-understand, convincing and appealing to target audiences (in particular senior decision makers and government representatives)
- Leads the design of campaign and communication preparation for the launch of the Peacemakers’ Covenant planned for December 2022 and the announcement of a follow up mechanism in 2023
- Develops tailored strategic communications material on the Principles for Peace and Peacemakers’ Covenant to target audiences and partners
- Develops internal and external stakeholder communication products and engages with key partners and stakeholders of the initiative
- Produces key communications content for various audiences to the initiative, including the general public, research partners and people living in conflict affected settings expiring peace processes
E. Reporting and feedback
All tasks are to be completed in close cooperation with the Secretariat. The Consultant will work closely with all members of the team and report to the Director of the Secretariat Principles for Peace.
- Tertiary qualification in journalism, communications or related field, or, peace and conflict studies, international relations, political science, development, public administration, management, or related field
- Professional experience working across a broad range of communication areas, including editorial, social media, website management, events, public relations and media
- Professional experience in strategic partnership building and/or advocacy
- Professional experience in peacebuilding, peace-making or mediation or other relevant field
- Relevant communications and research experience in related policy areas
- Field or lived experience in politics, conflict affected, development, or humanitarian contexts
- Excellent communication skills, including developing/adapting content for distinct audiences and social and traditional media
- Professional writing skills in English, including the ability to proofread and edit documents with a journalistic style
- Passion for digital communications and social media engagement and for issues related to violence prevention, international relations and story-telling
- Knowledge of peace-making and peacebuilding policy and practice, including understanding of gender-and youth peacebuilding issues
- Understanding of the development, humanitarian and peacebuilding/peacemaking policy discourses
- Ability to work in a multicultural environment and to demonstrate gender-responsive and non-discriminatory behavior and attitudes.
- Ability to interact in political sensitive situations and with people respectfully and with tact
- Ability to deal with confidential information and/or issues using discretion and good judgment
Excellent verbal and written skills in English required; fluency in other working languages of the UN, would be desirable.
G. Instructions for Submitting Expression of Interest
Qualified candidates are invited to send an Expression of Interest, including your CV, a cover letter (no longer than two pages) highlighting how your experience links to the assignments.
Please address the Expression of Interest to Hiba Qasas (Director of the Secretariat Principles for Peace) and send all relevant documents to: email@example.com by 7 October 2022. Please include “Senior Communications Consultant” in the subject line.
The payment is based on a monthly lumpsum. Please indicate your rate in your Expression of Interest.